Is there anything more comforting than a Sheppard's Pie on a dreary night? We don't think there is! That's why we created this healthy vegan variation of the classic recipe.
Our healthy version of Sheppard's Pie is just as comforting as the original but so much better for you. Meat is replaced with lentils which are high in protein and fibre. Potato mash is replaced with cauliflower mash for a lighter and more figure friendly topping for the pie. This recipe is bursting at the seams with organic vegetables making it a very healthy meal. It feeds a crowd so it's perfect for dinner parties or just a family dinner where you want some leftovers (or second helpings). We hope you love it!
Vegan Sheppard's Pie
- 2 cups of green lentils, soaked overnight
- 2 heads of cauliflower, steamed
- 4 cloves of garlic, steamed with cauliflower
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 pack of shallots, finely diced
- 4 ribs of celery, finely diced
- 4 carrots, finely diced
- 2 red peppers, finely diced
- 1 bag of frozen peas, added at the end
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 2 tsp sea salt (one for base and one for topping)
- 2 tsp black pepper (one for base/one for topping)
- Nutmeg, paprika and fresh parsley for garnish
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups filtered water
Saute red onion and shallots with the olive oil in the 11quart soup pot. Stir until translucent and add celery, carrot, red pepper, spices and sauté until soft. Add lentils and stir before adding water. Cook down until lentils are just tender. Add frozen peas and stir. Remove from heat and allow to cool while making cauliflower topping.
For topping, steam cauliflower and garlic in about 2 inches of water in the soup pot, just until tender, don’t overcook or it will turn to mush. Cool and transfer to food processor and add salt and pepper, pulse until soft.
To assemble, put lentil base into pans, spoon over cauliflower and cover lentil mixture, keeping it smooth. Sprinkle paprika and nutmeg, finish with a few parsley leaves in the center.